Solar Snake Repellent

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 22:46
ThreadID: 83370 Views:16412 Replies:14 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
Try one of these at your next campsite:

one born everyday

A shu-ru for snakes! I can't believe people are sucked in so easily.

Happy New Year!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 22:53

Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 22:53
and this one gets rid of rats and mice AND lights up! [for double the price of course]

for outside the tent?
AnswerID: 440397

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 09:57

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 09:57
I just got this reply to my request for any studies or evidence!

Hello, my name is Tianna and i work and I to live in a remote part of NSW called Mungindi. We have almost every snake under the sun on our farm and we have tried so many different chemicals and remidies. We have dogs and small children so wanted the best product that would protect our home and family. As far as i am aware there has been no scientific studies undertaken to prove fact or fiction however i can only provide my own experiences. Within 10 minutes of placing one unit in different snake infested areas the snakes would clear out even so can i guarantee the product 100%, no. I still keep an eye out for snakes. Have i seen any since i have installed them, no. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Tianna

FollowupID: 712313

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 23:33

Saturday, Jan 01, 2011 at 23:33
awsome.... but the snakes up here would most probally be attracted to it and try to r00t it .....

AnswerID: 440401

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 01:20

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 01:20
Oh dear, if he scares all his snakes away, how is he going to make snake oil?

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 440408

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 06:55

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 06:55
The real worry for both of you is, What the hell were you looking for to find these, LOL
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 440415

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 09:07

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 09:07
lol..... we are 'off grid' so need all sorts of solar gear. I was looking for solar hot water but cast a bit wide.
FollowupID: 712308

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 09:22

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 09:22
Hey Royce,
That's the down side to the internet.
You go looking for one thing, several pages later, you think to yourself, what was I looking for.
Anyway thats how it works for me.
What we talking about now? :)

FollowupID: 712311

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 07:23

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 07:23
I use a Snake Repellent that has two uses, it's called a Long Handle Shovel, I only use it on snakes if they insist on comming to close to the house, most times they will go the other way, we have a few Tiger Snakes in the area, I spotted a couple and my neighbour found one on his lawn yesterday.

Cheers
AnswerID: 440416

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 08:40

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 08:40
Hey Daza,
Whats Black, 4 foot long and bleeps snakes?

A 12 Gauge shotty.

I find a 12 gauge also makes for a good Snake repellent
Actually it helps remove all uninvited guests.

FollowupID: 712305

Follow Up By: Begaboy - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2011 at 11:30

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2011 at 11:30
Just a friendly reminder - all native Australian snakes are protected species , and deliberately killing them can incur heavy penalities and even Gaol , they come under the same protection as all your fluffy favorites such as Koala's and such

so best not to openly advertise on an open forum that your happy to break the law , it may one day come back on you !
FollowupID: 712568

Reply By: Moggs - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 08:22

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 08:22
Hi Royce. I assume you have never had any experience with these and have just decided they do not work and are a rip off on the basis of some higher knowledge.

I would not be so quick to dismiss these type of snake repellers. I would not buy the eBay knock off one but have bought the Sentinal brand and they work.

We live on a farm outside Mansfield Victoria and have been using 6 of the solar snake repellers around our property for about 3 months. In this time we have not had a snake in our yard. Before buying them we had brown snakes in our yard and on our back deck daily. One even chased a tradesman off the front verandah one day - aggressive little buggers. I have young children and a dog. The repellers now give me some comfort as from my experience they work. If they didn't, I would have returned them and got my money back.

I will even chuck one in the camper, especially when the dog comes with us.

I bought mine from here: http://www.snake-repeller.com.au/ . We got the mkII which modulates.

I would recommend them to anyone who lives in a snake area and has a dog or kids.
AnswerID: 440420

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 09:13

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 09:13
At first I thought that you might be pulling my leg Moggs... but then I guess they work on one in a hundred getting sucked in.

Or... do you have a proprietary interest in the business?

I have sent an inquiry to the sellers asking for any scientific research to support the claims. Even a THEORY on how they might work.

If you paid more than the $75 they are asking for the same product on ebay times 6.... wow!

I teach in a rural school. We have snakes appearing now and then. So I have sent a serious request for ANY evidence that they work. If they do, I'll eat my words and get the school to buy some.

The comfort you are feeling is a big worry. If you have experience with snakes around your property, you would be silly to think that they are not still there!
FollowupID: 712309

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 09:59

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 09:59
This is the response from the ebay seller... 10 minutes.. AMAZING!

"Hello, my name is Tianna and i work and I to live in a remote part of NSW called Mungindi. We have almost every snake under the sun on our farm and we have tried so many different chemicals and remidies. We have dogs and small children so wanted the best product that would protect our home and family. As far as i am aware there has been no scientific studies undertaken to prove fact or fiction however i can only provide my own experiences. Within 10 minutes of placing one unit in different snake infested areas the snakes would clear out even so can i guarantee the product 100%, no. I still keep an eye out for snakes. Have i seen any since i have installed them, no. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Tianna"

FollowupID: 712315

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 10:53

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 10:53
I hope the product is better than her spelling and punctuation.

Perhaps they sell Hiclones as well.

I notice she says they are effective for a 30m radius.

The other one says you should put 2 every 30m.

If one is effective for 30m you would only need them at 60m intervals.

A bit like Shooroos I have the $9 version on my car and have never hit a

Roo, so they must work. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FollowupID: 712319

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:53

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:53
I did a bit more research. This con is being pushed by several companies.

I'm a bit worried that people will actually rely on them to keep snakes away and therefore not be as vigelant... maybe let kids play unsupervised etc.

Here is what some more experience herpalolagists think: snake lovers
FollowupID: 712324

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:44

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:44
I read 15m radius on the sentinel site.
25m apart will give you a 5 m overlap
Site link
FollowupID: 712337

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 16:23

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 16:23
Royce, no interest in the business at all and i do not care if you think i am gullible. I am just someone who uses them and have not seen a snake in our yard since installing them. Results for me speak louder than scientific claims. Of course i am still vigilant with the dog and kids as i am not an idiot.

My last words on these, we had brown snakes daily in our yard and now we have not seen any at all. I would be the first to call 'hiclone' if they didn't do aynything, but they do.
FollowupID: 712361

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2011 at 10:13

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2011 at 10:13
Royce,

I know Moggs personally and he is neither gullible, nor a fool. If he's field tested them and found them effective, that's good enough for me.

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 712644

Reply By: Member - Rob Mac (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 10:18

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 10:18
Hello Royce, back in 84 when I went up the Canning Stock Route the passenger in the other Landy carried a roll of Hemp rope and laid it around his swag each night to stop snakes entering his bed. He said he learnt this when backpacking through India in the 70's. We all laughed at him but his reply was "Never had a snake in his swag".
Cheers
Rob Mac
AnswerID: 440429

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:23

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:23
Crikey Rob - I learnt that from the old Gene Autrey movies at the Satdy matinees.

Happy new year to you, hope you are keeping your feet dry.

Enjoyed you old pics - well done.

Regards - Phil 'n Jill
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 712321

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:58

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:58
I can actually see some logic in hairy uncomfortable hemp rope being unpleasant for a snake to travel over. [I doubt very much that it would work!]

My sister-in-law [RIP] was a naturopath and believed that if I spread snake poo around my farm boundary it would deter rabbits....

She also said that if I burnt rabbits and spread the ashes around the boundary all the rabbits would leave. I haven't tried it yet.
FollowupID: 712325

Follow Up By: 3GoBush - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:26

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:26
Up hear in the Top End we use the Darwin Woolly Butt bark around the swag / camp to keep the snakes away, the bark is course and prickly, the black fellas swear by it.

FollowupID: 712333

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:33

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:33
From a snake handler website:
"The solar repellent has been on the market for years now, sold mainly through dog magazines, I have been out to about three different houses with the piece of equipment, removed some lovely copperheads!"

A few St Patrick medals placed strategically around the yard work equally as well I find. Mind you if they made a miniature version I could attach to the neighbour's cat I might try one. Last 2 years she has brought us a number of baby Browns as presents. Last year I let her in the house without looking and subsequently had to retrieve a 35cm snake from the entrance hall.
AnswerID: 440440

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 12:00

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 12:00
Ah then .... cats..... I like the snakes better.
FollowupID: 712327

Reply By: Tim - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:10

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:10
I was initially sceptical about these however I now have purchased some and have them around the house based on 2 very important points.

Firstly, a collegue of mine (not a friend of a friend of a friend) was getting a snake per day around his house for something like 3 weeks striaght (we only get browns out here). These were obvioulsy "despatched" each time however another would return.
Since installing these, he has not had one. They have steered clear of the house while still being sighted in one of the out buildings 50m away so they are obviously still around but not coming near the repellers.

Now the other thing to consider, even if these things only reduce the likelihood of snakes around the house, they may very well reduce the chance of myself or children becoming victim to a bite. When the local hospital is a 2 hour flight away then that small reduction in chance quickly makes a big impact.

By no means am I swearing by these things yet, I am still waiting for them to prove themselves to me however I am would be cautious in writing them off totally. I don't doubt when engel first brought out car fridges people would have been a little sceptical as well........

Tim
AnswerID: 440451

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 14:02

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 14:02
It would be interesting to move one to the out building for a couple of weeks to see what happens.

If you kill every snake that appears near the house... then after a while it works. IMHO
FollowupID: 712342

Follow Up By: Tim - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 21:30

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 21:30
Well they did actually do that and sure enough, no snakes. I hear what your saying, if you kill them all then they won't come back...... from 1 per day to zero is a huge difference.
FollowupID: 712422

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:11

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:11
Gday,
Sounds to me there is only one person here who has actually tried them themselves......and their opinion is that they work?
Why does everyone need scientific proof these days? Cant something just work because you have seen it for yourself?
Sure Id be a bit skeptical, but why not ask for a trial and test it for yourself before bagging it?

Cheers
AnswerID: 440452

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:25

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:25
Just did a bit of reading about them....the Sentinal brand ones come with a money back guarantee ...........why not get one and do some testing yourself?
As for Shu roos...thats another argument....Ive never tried them but know people who swear by them.
FollowupID: 712332

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 14:06

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 14:06
These scam marketers always offer 'money back' .... even more legit businesses do. Most people don't bother admitting they have been duped and send them back.

There is always someone who 'swears by' these dodgy products... that's how they sell.

"Why does everyone need scientific proof these days? ".......um... Duh? How else? I guess the point is that gullible people DON'T feel that they need proof, they just have faith that what the seller says is true!
FollowupID: 712344

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 14:32

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 14:32
So your suggesting Moggs and Tim are somehow tied to this "scam"?
You seem pretty convinced that this product is a scam yet you havent tried one?
What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?
Gullible or trustworthy...depends if your an optimist or pessimist I suppose.
FollowupID: 712350

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 14:47

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 14:47
It's possible.....

"Innocent until proven guilty" usually refers to our legal system... not sure how it would apply to an: unlikely, unproven, possibly dangerously misleading, overpriced, commercial product.

Gullible = believes almost anything

Trustworthy = able to be trusted

Optimist thinks the best of most situations, while a pessimist thinks the worst, but I'm not sure how it applies to scams.

Pehaps you meant being sceptical of unproven money makers is pessimistic?
So accepting sales pitches for unproven money makers is optimistic.

Yep.... very.
FollowupID: 712352

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 16:24

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 16:24
I would be skeptical as well, but I wouldnt go as far to say its a scam or con until I had tried one or had some sought of "scientific" proof to say so.

Can you imagine what they said about mozzie repellent when it first come out?

Ps ...thanks for the English lesson.
FollowupID: 712362

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 16:39

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 16:39
Ge Royce, you seem to be convinced they are a sham and sold by scam marketers after finding a single eBay ad. Those who know me will confirm I don't crap on or persist with useless products.

I also reckon you should try one and then send it back if it does not work. You just might be surprised. Once again, i have no finanacial or other interest in these other than my experience as a user.

It basically comes down to whether someone believes my account as a user or believe i am lying to justify an insignificant financial outlay. Lol!
FollowupID: 712366

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Jan 03, 2011 at 00:53

Monday, Jan 03, 2011 at 00:53
I dont need to be poked in the eye with a sharp stick before I realize most things are better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick

in other words
- some things are just common sense
FollowupID: 712442

Reply By: Tim - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:11

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:11
I was initially sceptical about these however I now have purchased some and have them around the house based on 2 very important points.

Firstly, a collegue of mine (not a friend of a friend of a friend) was getting a snake per day around his house for something like 3 weeks striaght (we only get browns out here). These were obvioulsy "despatched" each time however another would return.
Since installing these, he has not had one. They have steered clear of the house while still being sighted in one of the out buildings 50m away so they are obviously still around but not coming near the repellers.

Now the other thing to consider, even if these things only reduce the likelihood of snakes around the house, they may very well reduce the chance of myself or children becoming victim to a bite. When the local hospital is a 2 hour flight away then that small reduction in chance quickly makes a big impact.

By no means am I swearing by these things yet, I am still waiting for them to prove themselves to me however I am would be cautious in writing them off totally. I don't doubt when engel first brought out car fridges people would have been a little sceptical as well........

Tim
AnswerID: 440453

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:25

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:25
So can anyone who has them tell us how they work? Like from the snake's point of view? You must have done your research before outlaying the money.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 440456

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:38

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 13:38
Taken off the sentinal web site.......

How does it work?
This unique repeller has been developed to scare away all kinds of snakes; it emits a pulsing vibration, which the snake picks up through sensors throughout its body. The snake perceives a danger zone causing them to evacuate the area; most snakes will retreat almost immediately.

The sense organs of snakes are uniquely different than those of mammals and other animals. Unlike mammals, which mainly rely on their sight and hearing, snakes rely primarily on their senses of smell and touch. They do not have moveable eyelids, but transparent caps called "brille" as protective eye coverings. Because of this, their eye movement is fairly limited. They also do not have an external ear, middle ear, or tympanic membrane (eardrum). Instead, they use a small ossicle (ear bone), called the "columella," to detect vibrations of sound waves conducted through the ground. They are able to pick up some sound waves conducted through the air, but only at very low frequencies. Snakes actually sense the vibration right throughout their bodies via their spine, this is termed somatic hearing, where the vibration is picked up and transferred along the spinal cords to the ear bone.

Much research has gone into developing the correct type of pulse to trigger the retreat instinct in snakes. It has been designed and produced to give years of trouble free service with no running costs. Solar powered for economy and low maintenance, built of sturdy materials to resist the elements. Its integrated high quality solar panel and power cell provides reliability to work continuously day and night, all year round even through prolonged periods of dull overcast weather.
FollowupID: 712334

Follow Up By: Bushtrek - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 19:28

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 19:28
So these things are just a vibrator.
Look at it from the snakes point of view. Here you are lying around on the ground, not stitch on and some clown comes at you with a bit green vibrator.
What would you do???

Clear out fast. Yeah right....just like they do when the shotty comes a calling.
FollowupID: 712408

Reply By: Cooper Creek King - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 14:52

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 14:52
Snake repellents ! You lot are a crack up.
But then again think back to Batman, he used shark repellent with success.
In a handy spray can as well.
King
AnswerID: 440464

Follow Up By: dbish - Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 21:54

Sunday, Jan 02, 2011 at 21:54
Well if were moving on to sharks & repelents. Ive been using a Shark Shield for about 3 years now & i cant prove a $700 machine works, But it certainly packs a huge whallop if you get tangled up in it as it uses high voltage pulses. This creates an electric field around a diver. I dive in areas where white pointers are likely to show up, as yet i havent seen one but i find diving just that mutch more enjoyable. Small sharks & rays wont come within 10ft of you. I dont realy have any sientific proof these are infallible. At the end of the day at least i enjoy diving more.
FollowupID: 712428

Reply By: Crazie - Monday, Jan 03, 2011 at 23:51

Monday, Jan 03, 2011 at 23:51
We have used the Sentinal brand when camping, so far no snakes. We take our dog camping and we feel she is safer using it, my wife also is happy to see no snakes.
AnswerID: 440631

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2011 at 04:26

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2011 at 04:26
I use no snake repellant when I go camping an so far no snakes - had a few dogs though - i would prefer snakes to dogs prowling around at night
FollowupID: 712552

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Jan 04, 2011 at 08:45

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2011 at 08:45
Dogs usually keep the snakes away.
See no snakes just means the snake that are there have not been seen.
Hopefully you still look out for them and don't trust this gizmo too much.
FollowupID: 712560

Follow Up By: Crazie - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2011 at 09:31

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2011 at 09:31
Hi guys

Yes we still are vigillant in watching for snakes. We have seen many on the tracks, but none near the camper. Call it what you want, my dog would try and play the with a snake, happy we have had one near the camper.
FollowupID: 712564

Sponsored Links